Monday, July 16, 2007
Tapped, Tagged, and Jetlagged
Kristina at Autism Vox tagged me--not the blog, but me personally, by name, with that infernal 8-things meme that's making the rounds. I felt a bit guilty about not responding to the several "thinking blogger" taps we got, but figured that we have a blogroll, updated often, and heavily contributing to the carnivals is my way of pointing out new and interesting bloggers that more folks should be reading.
But eight random things about me, huh? Okay then. But be warned, if another meme comes around in a few weeks asking for ten more random things about me, I'm tapped out. Here's what I can tell you:
1. I'm left-handed. My kindergarten teacher tried to switch my handedness (in 1972!), and in first grade I went to a special ed class for penmanship. I'm terrible with shoelaces and my favorite rotary cheese grater, but I still cheered when my daughter turned up a lefty.
2. I skipped second grade and repeated fourth grade. Same me, same school, just different policies.
3. I went to high school and share a surname with an astronaut--we're both P. Richards, and we both finished second in our respective classes. No relation, though. He's walked in space, I get queasy on small boats.
4. I was the sixth generation of my grandmother's family to live in the house where I grew up, built by my great-great-greats in the 1850s. Various members of the seventh generation have visited the house, slept, eaten, played, and celebrated there, but so far none has taken up residence.
5. My 1990 masters thesis was about a border dispute between Pennsylvania and Connecticut, 1750s-1780s. Wait, you say, Pennsylvania and Connecticut don't share a border! Well, they don't now, silly... but it took some bloody skirmishes and protracted legal wrangling to establish that for sure.
6. I got my first driver's license at age 25. Reluctantly. Still not a car person, even now that I live in Los Angeles.
7. Pregnancy incapacitated me both times--learn more about hyperemesis gravidarum here--but I'm really lucky in labor: had my firstborn in 90 minutes, no drugs, no stitches. Then the fun started.
8. I own and wear more than ten pairs of maryjanes, various colors and brands. Ridiculous, sure, but they suit my big Flintstone feet. (Image above is a turquoise-floral print maryjane from On Your Feet shoes. Might wear those today.)
See, I was clearly reaching towards the end there--just not that fascinated by my own random things, I guess. Now to tag forward: hm, I think I'll just link to some fairly recent adds in our blogroll or my feeds--if they're interested in playing fine, if not, that's cool too. Tagging: Cilla at My Big Noise, Shelob at Caution Blind Driver, Paula at E. is for Epilepsy, zombierubberduckie at Life Sat Down, Penelope at Rolling Around Life, Jodi at Reimer Reason, I'll add two more later, my laptop batteries are kaput for now...