Friday, August 28, 2009

Another "hilarious" blind cartoon character ?!?!?

[Visual description: animation still; the human character is an African-American woman wearing a white headscarf, shawl, and dress, sunglasses, bracelet, ring, and large gold earrings; she's holding the head of a large snake in her hands, and smiling at it.]

Hoo-boy. Get ready for Mama Odie, the fairy godmother in Disney's new feature, "The Princess and the Frog." She's a 200-year-old swamp-dwelling seer and she's blind (get it? get it?). She has a "seeing-eye" snake. Yeah, that won't confuse any children about the work of service animals...

5 comments:

  1. This one just gets better and better: it's like they tossed all their minority issues into one really bad movie....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:46 AM

    I'm willing to bet she'll be the smartest person in the movie. She'll undoubtedly be similar to "Teresias," the blind seer who appeared in many ancient Greco-Roman literary works. Teresias was the one who would warn the foolish protagonists and antagonists, like in Oedipus Rex, against the mistakes they were about to make.
    I don't see anything wrong with that type of postrayal.
    Also, I think we don't give children enough credit. Children know what cartoons are for - experimenting with absurd ideas. I don't understand how drawing a cartoon seeing-eye-snake could hurt anyone.
    I think Disney has a good idea here. I laugh at Timmy and Jimmy (like whom I look alot) from South Park, too. I like to laugh at myself, and I feel bad when people think I'm too pathetic to laugh at. I'm not alone in these views, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, great. I'm not looking forward to Disney's A Christmas Carol, either. Featuring one of the biggest pity characters of all time, Tiny Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:24 AM

    Tim is a symbol of strength. He stands up well to things that seem to break others down. Tim is not what's pitiful here; what's pitiful is a society too selfish to take care of its own by providing health care and enforcing fair labor laws.

    ReplyDelete