Friday, June 06, 2008

Michael Chabon, "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay"

An early passage of Michael Chabon's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (2000) caught my attention today:

Thirteen-year-old title character Sammy Clay and his estranged father, a vaudeville performer called "the Mighty Molecule," but born Alter Klayman near Minsk, are talking in a hammam in Brooklyn in the 1930s, reminiscing about Sammy's earlier bout with polio:
"You were so heavy to carry," his father said, "I thought you have to be dead. Only also you were so hot against the hand. The doctor came and we put ice on you and when you woke up you couldn't walk anymore. And then when you come back from the hospital I started taking you and I took you around, I carried you and I dragged you and I made you walk. Until your knees were scraped and bruised, I made you walk. Until you cried. First holding on to me, then on to the crutches, then not with crutches. All by yourself."
"Jeez," Sammy said. "I mean, huh. Mom never told me any of this."
"What a wonder."
"I honestly don't remember."
"God is merciful," the Molecule said drily; he didn't believe in God, as his son well knew. "You hated every minute. You just as good hated me."
"But Mom lied."
"I am shocked."
"She always told me you left when I was just a little baby."
"I did. But I came back. I am there when you come sick. Then I stay and teach you to help you walk."
"And then you left again."
The Molecule appeared to choose to ignore this observation. "That's why I try to walk you around so much now," he said. "To make your legs strong."
This possible second motive for their walks--after his father's inherent restlessness--had occurred to Sammy before. He was flattered, and believed his father, and in the potency of long walks. (106-107)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Penny,

I enjoy reading your posts. I make it a point to read them periodically because I think that what you write especially should be incorporated in disability studies lectures. The material is so rich.

I will use the passage that you cited by Michael Chabon when I teach medical students. Literature has such a captivating way of expressing a theoretical notion.

Thanks so much for your consistent sharing of vital information.

Carol

Anonymous said...

I just found your website and have noticed a few interesting articles. Keep up the great work


Undiagnosed Illness