Thursday, January 24, 2008

Disability Blog Carnival #30 is up now!

Go see Kathryn's lovely collection of posts around the subject "what professionals should know." Some things they should know (but apparently don't always):
  • "people are people first"
  • "disability is not a one-size-fits-all experience"
  • "I am the expert on my particular body"
  • "your words, or more importantly, your attitudes, have the ability to ruin my day"
  • "Do not touch, push, or otherwise handle assistive or mobility devices without permission"
  • "you were not hired to be my minister, my parent, or my buddy"
  • "blindness isn't a calamity unless the 'professionals' make it so"
  • "I will not accept the myth that my life is less important because there is less that I can do"
  • "My time is just as important as your time."
And many more. Go and read. But...

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's.... the next Disability Blog Carnival edition, to be hosted by Emma at Wheelchair Princess (recently featured in a Guardian article about disabled bloggers at the Katie Thorpe case), on February 14th. The theme is.... "Superman." Hmmm! Deadline for submissions is February 11, at the blogcarnival.com form, or maybe slightly later if you go directly to Emma by email.

2 comments:

Karen Putz said...

Your words, or your attitude can ruin my day...

No kidding! That's what happened to me this week:

http://putzworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/steak-and-shake-denies-service.html

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

Fantastic post! These are great points every professional should live by.